Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Run in with the Local "Gangsters"

Funny story. To start I'll give you some background information about the way things are here in Malaysia. There are no guns, there is little crime (relative to the US) and the only people that an American like me would perceive as being actually dangerous would be certain groups of Nigerians who carry machetes and have short tempers. However, natives often tell me about these groups of Indians who beat people up and steal things. They often travel in packs on their little motor bikes and are feared here. An older Chinese man in my company had his truck stolen by a group like this who roughed him up some and drove off with it. So I'm coming back from a long drive (about an hour away to a college town near the airport) and I stop at a gas station real quick. The person I'm riding with doesn't want anything, so she stays in the car. The car was left running, a person in it, the radio playing, in a spot that I will have to back out of. So I come out of the gas station and get in the car, start to back up. I had backed up less than one foot and I make contact with something. Apparently some Indian dude parked his motorbike right behind the bed of my pick-up truck on one side. The bike is shorter than the bed of my truck, so I might not have done a thorough inspection before I started moving, but the bike was still parked in a very bad spot. So I get out, the guy picks up his bike. To my eye, there is not a scratch on it. The parts that hit the ground were find, the part I made contact with, not a scratch. However, the Indian pint-sized Indian guy is going ballistic. He's trying to say something is out of alignment, although whatever he is pointing at is neither at the points that touched the ground or that touched the car. So he's blowing hot air as far as I'm concerned. Plus he's in an almost empty parking lot, why would he decide to park behind a car that is running and obviously going to move very soon? I look back, his friend has moved his bike behind the truck now to block me in. Furthermore, he makes one phone call and within 3-4 minutes there are about 8 undersized (5'4" to about 5'7" none more than about 160 lbs) surrounding me yelling. As with the police and other institutions in Malaysia, my assumption is that they're looking for a quick payday; they think they're going to intimidate me into giving them some large amount of money and they'll leave me alone. They picked the wrong target. I'm huge for Malaysia, I'm too smart to conform to this buffoonery, and I honestly don't have money to spare until I get paid again anyway. So the first few are kind of squaring me off like they want to start fighting; luckily I changed my mindset and put just a little bit of crazy in my eye and that did the trick calming them down. Then they went the police route. I guess they think I'm an African and I'm illegal or something, so they thought the prospect of the police would blow my wallet open. My response "Call 'em." The guy is claiming his brother, uncle and everyone else are policemen; but the reality is, there is not a scratch on your bike, period. What more needs to be said? So after I called their bluff, they finally got the picture that I wasn't gonna play ball with them. So they left still threatening "This isn't over, the police will contact you." This happened weeks ago, I haven't heard a word from the police or my company (owners of the truck). It's almost laughable to me that their methods are so successful. Interesting times...

No comments:

Post a Comment