Saturday, October 9, 2010

Music as a Cure-All

Date: 8/25/10

“Music is the rhythm of life,” a wise man once said. That wise man was me. As much as I tell other people that, how’d I get away from it for such a long period of time? Just a few days ago, I was a little frustrated with things. One of the subcontractors at the jobsite was holding up our schedule (which would get us, not the subcontractor, cussed out next time we have a meeting with the client) and I seemed to be the only person from the management team on site that cared; I had to talk to the boss about what we could do to aid the problem. They took our company car. We still don’t have the Internet in the apartment. I was gonna have to switch rooms into a room that was currently bright pink. And it got ridiculously hot again, which always seems to make people a little more irritable. I won’t say I was losing it or anything, but I wasn’t in the best of moods for a short period. Then something miraculous happened. I stopped using my iPod just as a device to search for available wi-fi but bought some new headphones and turned on the music. I had put the Roots’ new album “How I Got Over” on my iPod but hadn’t given it a good listen yet. I just let the album take me away. Before I knew it, I would be waiting to cross the street somewhere or riding in the car bobbing my head. The subcontractor got more manpower and machinery at the sight so now they are working at a much better pace. The project manager is giving us rides back and forth to work and we got news that we will have another car soon. They painted the pink room white and gave me brand new furniture for the move. And even in the Malaysian heat, “The Fire,” “Walk Alone,” and “The Day” among others by the Roots were keeping me cool. In addition to the usual suspects like Nas, Lupe, Kweli, Wale, and NC’s own phenomenal talent J. Col. There’s a reason I always had my iPod in during my years in college. I don’t know where I’d be without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment