Friday, November 26, 2010

Becoming Closer to God in Malaysia

This breaks the sequential order that I was gonna establish with the Hong Kong events and pics, but I feel it's important. Plus, this is my blog, get over it. LOL...

Yeah, this entry's title is strange and almost oxymoronic. I know. But it’s true. Before coming here, I had no idea what to expect going to a Muslim country. I try not to give in to believing stereotypes of Muslims too much; such as the religion being so objectifying and abusive of women or being a training ground for terrorism. However, to stay considerate I did leave all Christian/religious paraphernalia behind. I wanted to avoid any possibility of things being taken or having problems entering through customs or immigration. However, a few weeks after arriving I met students who attend a Christian church near where I work. I started out attending out of convenience because the service was immediately after work and nearby my job. Also, there was an added element of guilt. After all, I had been slack on my church going during my 5 years of college primarily because Sunday morning was usually spent either resting on the way back from a track meet or recovering from partying and socializing Saturday night. So I started going and found that Saturday night service was a fairly small service of mostly African students and was focused mainly on simple and applicable lessons from the Bible; the pastor was even Malay, the biggest surprise. From there, as I met more people through the church, I was introduced to an Indian who lived and studied in America who hosts Bible study every Wednesday evening. Bible study provided an even more intimate environment, usually about 10 people or so, and it very interactive and revolved around lessons usually made by college-aged members of the bible study class. I never doubted that Christianity would always be part of my life. But somehow, being here has provided me with a new sense of purpose towards it. I had gained a procrastinating attitude instead of truly taking action towards this goal. But being here around these African and Indian Christians, has made me look at things a little differently. They are much more spiritual and aware of the presence of God in their everyday lives that I would have guessed. They truly do use the Bible as a source of strength and encouragement through their troubling times. So although I’m not a huge fan of what organized religion can become such as the business mentality, competitive spirituality, and overwhelming theatrics that can take place. However, these are flaws with man, not flaws of God. Therefore, whether done in a mega church, normal church, small church, or at home alone with a Bible and a friend, I want to work on my spirituality. I have seen what faith can do for people and even though I admit I sometimes question the events of the Bible or warped applications that men have applied, I want the positive affects that faith can have; the strength to overcome tough times, the gratitude for things often overlooked, and the overall optimism that relieves stresses in life. Now, I doubt I’ll ever be a “holy roller” as my brother would say. But I feel I can do better and am trying to stop standing still and believe that I want to. In my spare time, of which I have a lot, I try to read from my Bible Reader iPod touch app instead of dosing off or listening to songs I’ve heard 500 times. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless. I’m blessed, as far as talents, abilities, family, achievement, and more. I want to fulfill my full potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment