Thursday, September 23, 2010

Preface, better late than never


I'm back. I know, I'm late. Extenuating circumstances, sue me. But here we go...

A year ago I knew absolutely nothing about Malaysia beyond it being home to the Petronas Towers (pictured with me in my LRG shirt), which were once the tallest buildings in the world. Now, I've been here one month out of a one year job contract. It is very different, good in some ways, bad in others. Some exciting and exhilarating, others somewhat frightening, and every emotion in between. One of the most nerve-wrecking experiences here is that I still don't have the Internet in my apartment. I've been waiting patiently but I've heard every explanation - from foreigners needing extra clearances, the fasting month of Ramadhan draining workers, workers taking long celebrations for Hari Raya the celebration which follows the fast, things taking long advertised as "The Malaysian Way" and everything in between. I believe its some combination of those factors and an overall level of slackness about the urgency of the situation to me and my "interesting" British roommate. But from the Internet cafes or random wireless places, I've decided I can't keep the stories can no longer wait. Because I'm so far behind already, I'm going to post multiple at a time for a few days to catch up. They're dated so you'll understand exactly how far into the process I was at the time of the entry. Comments appreciated as always. And I'll try to censor myself a little to be considerate that the reader base may be a little different than that of my previous blog. 'Selamat malam' means 'goodnight' in Bahasa Malay. Enjoy...

P.S. I'm long-winded. You know this. So some may be long. Call me what u want, I've Been Called Worse. My b, wrong blog. And yes, I picked the background that looks like a house from a century ago. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment